Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Daniel Heyman - artist who went to Iraq -

Artist Daniel Heyman - The Detainee Project - etc.

http://www.detaineeproject.org/#/Detainee%20Portraits/Chris%20Bartlett/1

I knew Daniel briefly in Philadelphia, when we both worked at Annenberg Center - I wanted him to illustrate my book length poem/novel She-Monkey goes West, but that did not work out, as I moved to DC.  Since the 90s, Daniel had produced this amazing body of work, as you see here, including prints made of a trip to Iraq.

I post this here as a response to the young lady who said, "But Aunty, your work is full of dead bodies!"

Is art mean to make us feel happy?  Is it meant to me (merely) pretty?

Or is is meant to jolt us and make us think?

She-Monkey was a Pew Finalist Script in 1995.

Specialpost--Ellen Bernstein--expose of World Bank Rohingya project--

https://www.irrawaddy.com/culture/books/hellfire-and-damnation-in-myanmar-ex-world-bank-country-head-recounts-rohingya-catastrophe-response....