Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Excerpt from my novella--My Potsdam--out soon in paperback--


It was the day after the 3rd of October, 2005, the 15th anniversary of German Reunification.
I was waiting as usual at the head of Glienicke Bridge, on the Berlin side, for the tour bus to come in, so I could step on and begin my guide duties for the day.
*
I am very good at languages, speaking German, English, Polish, Hungarian and Russian fluently.
I know all the little dates, and the big dates, about Berlin, Potsdam and Germany.
Each tour (I only do one a day) is like a performance.
They exhaust me and so, giving as I do more than one hundred percent, I only do one tour a day and only work for one company which picks up tourists at its pick-up point on the Kurfurstendamm or Ku’damm, which was the most fashionable street in West Berlin before Reunification.
Now it is Potsdamer Place, with the new soaring clear blue glass tent of the Sony Center, which was no-man’s land in the days of the Wall, which is the main tourist attraction.
*
Copyright KMKaung
3-4-2015

Poetry post--Terrance Hayes--American Sonnet for myPast and Future Assassin--

American Sonnet for My Past and Future Assassin [“I… | Poetry Magazine You can also listen to the poet reading his poem himself. https://...