Sunday, July 12, 2015

1st or 2nd book by Harper Lee

This review of Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee's 1st or 2nd book, is excellent.

And you can read the first chapter of Watchman on line.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2015/jul/10/go-set-a-watchman-read-the-first-chapter

One thing Harper Lee had, which is not replaceable for any writer--she had a unique and distinctive, and compelling authorial voice.

I did not like the interactive of the chugging train with animation and ambient sound at all, and it was some time before I found how to mute it.

I found it distracting.

I could not hear Harper Lee's voice in my head with that train chugging.

For all writers, don't write or talk to sound cool or modern or imitate others.

Say what you have to say and say it plainly.

And don't write if you have nothing to say.

That's all--as poet Maru said when he was waiting tables in Japan and I asked him to read his poem on the phone for my radio program Poems of Those who Love Their Country.

That's all.

Ciao for now.

It's getting late, and my day's work or chores still not completed, the trash sitting in a big plastic bag near the door.

The fish also needs to be cooked tonight.  Fish and time waits for no woman.

KMKaung
7-12-2015

Yuan Dynasty and death of Kublai Khan--from wiki

The Yuan dynasty created the "Han Army" (漢軍) out of defected Jin troops and an army of defected Song troops called the "Newly...