Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Simon Schama on Carravagio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/

I highly recommend this Power of Art Series. I may not agree with everything Schama says, and sometimes his analyses may be too pat and dramatized, but it is a great starting point to pique anyone's interest.

Also to revive interest in artists such as Picasso and Van Gogh, who are written about often.

This piece on 17th century artist Carravagio is illustrated with many paintings and dramatic recreations of episodes in his short and turbulent life.

I never knew before that one could be sued for libel for writing a poem, which is what happened to set Carravagio on his downward spiral, into murder and attempted redemptions through his amazing art.

He painted so fabulously, in a cinematic way before cinema, with wonderful lighting that seems to rake the characters in action. Carravagio shows us moments that are freeze-framed but full of movement, emotion, meaning and life.

I think I have missed the Carravagio exhibit at the National Gallery --

I would not have if I had seen this TV piece earlier.

Anne Hathaway on casting love scenes--It's a matter of power--(more May-Dec stories)

h ttps://www.aol.com/entertainment/anne-hathaway-says-gross-chemistry-202037521.html