Sunday, August 30, 2020

Special post--project suitable for both crochet and knitting--

Skull crochet scarf--detail.  KM Kaung, based on pattern by Fiber Spider.

It will work up really fast, as 1/2 or 50% is "enclosed space."

It's designed by Fiber Spider (Craig Manon) probably to wear in 60-70F weather, or indoors when it's very cold, or with coat or jacket in rain and bitter cold.

It will probably be least boring to work in a color-changing or ombre yarn.

Thought someone might like to try it, even as a sewing project with very gauzy fabric.

For the skull scarf I made, also based on a Fiber Spider tutorial (all my crochet is learned from Fiber Spider, big thank you)

I used middle tone, worsted weight yarn (4) (acrylic, as I want to keep costs down).  I used beige as I had the wool and the skull pattern would not look good in a color-changing yarn that changes color too fast or too brightly.

Weight of 3 is flimsiest I have since tried.  I want to be able to see the stitches and like easy handling.

My mother and my nanny Ma Shin wld likely have made fun of my sin ta lan, myin ta lan (Elephants' and horses' footsteps stitches, also sometimes of uneven tension).

My mother was like Rilke's mom.

Expert at taking you down one or more notches.

However, I am the age she was when she said such nice things; I am 70+; they are all dead; and I am overseas from Burma in a cold climate, isolating due to Covid and my art life.

So give it a try,

If you don't like it, you can

1. rewind and reuse the wool--Rewinding goes faster than stitching.

2. shove it somewhere

3. donate it.

4. wash it in very hot water and felt it--

even maybe wipe the floor with it.  Who knows?

Possibilities are endless, but 2 best are

A. donate it.  Now there are many fire, flood and police brutality victims and families.  Find the right organization to give to.  Thrift shops and salvation Army take donations of clothing.  I gave away all my work clothes.

B. open an Etsy acct where i. It might lie there unsold forever or ii.  you might sell something.

Adjust yr prices to be competitive and comparative with others' products.

Remember we are in a Pandemic and the worst Depression in modern history.

So, good luck.

In any case as our Fiber Group leader Joan said, "You'll either have a good time or a terrible time, but either way it will be over."

Thank you too Joan.

That's why I like projects.

They have a beginning, a middle and an end, and can even be killed off or aborted.

So there you have it.

KM Kaung





8-30-2020

From Myanmar Now--bumbling SAC propagandist-- SACK!--+ don't trust Hunterbrook Media--

Myanmar’s military regime is not renowned for its sophisticated propaganda machine. Much of what passes for strategic messaging from the rul...