Friday, October 11, 2024

Qin Empire TV drama--Qin Shi Huangdi asks for suggestions--ep 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Zb0D2xAd4
This is the "good governance" my former colleagues in the Burmese democracy movement overseas were eternally yapping about ad infinitum--the "closest colleague" jumped the fence from being an advisor to PM in Exile, Dr. Sein Win (NCGUB) to "advising" "baldy Thein Sein" of the so-called transition period.
May I remind you, this is historical fiction.
Nevertheless, like all good fiction, it stirs up issues.
Deng Xioping's reforms post-1978 succeeded so spectacularly because he gave farmers usufructs to use land for 99 years--a usufruct is the right to use, but if it's 99 years it's as good as ownership.
The so-called transition period in Burma about 2010 to the 2021 coup was notorious for land grabs.
I remember chatting about this with Moethee Zun, renowned 1988 student leader, now in America.
My maternal grandparents' rice lands were all confiscated and redistributed by the democratically-elected government of then PM U Nu.
My mother said she had these certificates for quite a while, but then destroyed them.
They never got compensation.
Please don't get confused by "one shot" "cures" and theories such as "resource curse" etc.
So we should blame "natural resources" not the people who exploit them?
Give me a break.
I hate this non-profit doublespeak.
kmk
10-11-2024

My new love--Google Books--here is VC Scott O'Connor's Mandalay and Other Cities--494 pages--

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mandalay_and_Other_Cities_of_the_Past_in/A5tEAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0 Send me some Burmese foods or ...