Tuesday, September 03, 2024

50 novels featuring old women--international--

https://bookriot.com/novels-about-older-women/
I've only read A Student of History by Nina Revoyr--published by Akashic Books--which has some connection to George Pelacanos--whose mother lives in my building.
Amazing--
It was when there was still this bookstore on Wisconsin Av. When I said, "I would like to meet more writers," Pelecanos said,"I never socialize with writers. None of my friends are writers."
Now I begin to get the point. It's better to observe people.
Or spin stories off of imagined or observed moments.
For instance there was this pretty girl at Teaism embroidering a gold threaded badge for her boyfriend, who she said was graduating from West Point."
From my radio job and my favorite economics professor in NY, I learned to chat with taxi drivers who come from all over--the Ethiopian, the Syrian, the one from Rwanda--But I don't chat with some who look like wierdos-
The Ethiopian asked me a strange question--What's your religion?
The one in Amsterdam said, "It's so sad you don't see your brother in Burma.
The one from Rwanda who drove around Sheridan Circle twice while I recorded his comments on Rwanda.
One said how much he admired Putin--the gold doors.
Another said he would not mind being in the same room with "Moose Barbie."
A panoply of characters in search of a story.
Or the poet who told me at a Pew reception for finalists--how his girlfriend and he went to get an abortion, when they were teenagers--and "all the way back I heard a baby crying."
Some come to lunch just to tell me a story--which became 53 Red Roses.
Thank you,
Kyi May Kaung.

Paul Gauguin--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gauguin