Burma, America, The World, Art, Literature, Political Economy through the eyes of a Permanent Exile. "We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Sometimes we must interfere. . . There is so much injustice and suffering crying out for our attention . . . writers and poets, prisoners in so many lands governed by the left and by the right." Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize Speech, 1986, Oslo. This entire site copyright Kyi May Kaung unless indicated otherwise.
Monday, September 07, 2026
I watched again Farewell my Concubine--when I first watched it in the 1980s, in a cinema--
I understood it not at all.
You can find it by Googling Farewell my Concubine--be warned it's a wrenching experience even if you know the opera is based on Chinese history and you know about the Cultural Revolution.
I think it's also about gender identification and homophobia.
I thought it would end like La Boheme,with one word, and I was right.
In about 2000 I interviewed Nien Cheng, author of Life and Death in Shanghai.
Her daughter was pushed out of a window by the Red Guards and died.
Deng Xioping's elded son jumped from a third floor window and was severely paralysed.
I also highly recommend Nien Cheng's book.
I asked her if she went back to China.
She said if her daughter had lived, she might have.
I can completely understand her.
I am currently reading Linda Javin's The Shortest History of China which gives it to you in a nutshell--from the paleolithic to Xi Jinping.
From watching so much Chinese (historical)drama such as The Qin Dynasty Epic and the series about Lui Bang I now have a better long view.
I started in Burma reading Edgar Snow's Red Star over China.
I wish you well, tomorrow is Labor Day.
Copyright Kyi May Kaung
9-6-2026
Deng Pufang
Co-pilot search results What happened to Deng Xiaoping’s Eldest Son Deng Xiaoping’s eldest son, Deng Pufang, was born in 1944 during t...
-
Directed by Miloš Forman Screenplay by Peter Shaffer Based on Amadeus by Peter Shaffer Mozart and Salieri by Alexander Pus...
-
https://www.ecoticias.com/en/traffic-lights-fourth-color/10086/