Friday, January 11, 2013

Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit, George Orwell's 1984 (movie version)

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Wordsworth-Classics-Charles-Dickens/dp/1853261823#reader_1853261823 I saw a TV series some years ago and it was excellent - the intro in the Amazon sample pages are soo interesting - D was an early activist - and also had a magazine where he energetically addressed all the problems of the day, and Orwell wrote a great article on him in 1948 - it is Amazing -- I watched "1984" - movie version and it was very good though extremely bleak and depressing - Julia hiding the small gifts like chocolate, real coffee, real sugar in the fireplace and giving them to Winston Smith so like 1982 when I left Burma. The real 1984 was an important year for me, because I went to see Burma expert Josef Silverstein at a MacDonald's near the train line for the first time - I had never heard of him in Burma. My Karen friends lived close by and gave me his phone number as he was a supporter of Karen National Union leader, the late Saw Bo Mya - I went because I had read Silverstein's books in the Penn library and I wanted to be like him. kmk

La Boheme--the young Pavarotti--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkHGUaB1Bs8