Friday, January 01, 2016

Excerpt from my autobiographical novel Once--by KM Kaung

Quote of the day--from my autobiographical novel--Once: I Weep for You, My Native Land--

"No," Glamis admonished, holding Anouk by her sleeve, back at the edges of the crowd lining the streets, "You must not move too far to the front. No, that is not good, Anouk. Stand back here behind me."
Anouk now understood that when Elder Sister spoke, it was final.
"You're a young matron now, you must have the proper einteré or demeanor. Besides, soldiers and officers, Burmese or Japanese, can pick up and take away any woman they want. Best to keep a low profile."
"Please Elder Sister," Anouk pleaded, "What harm can it do? I just want to show my support. A bunch of leaves doesn't cost too much. Please."
"No. I told you before," Glamis replied shortly. "No. You're my responsibility when Naing is not at home. Besides, he won't like it."
Anouk hated Glamis most when she used this, "Naing won't like it," argument.
It seemed to her that she should be able to do whatever she, Anouk, wanted. But she prudently kept her mouth shut. It wouldn't do to have a scene in the street, and for two women to call attention to themselves, especially when it was so hard to rell what was going on from day to day, with the Japanese and all.

Copyright Kyi May Kaung, a k a KM Kyi May Kaung
1-1-2016

Gorgon/Gorgons--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgons