Saturday, October 07, 2017

James Michener's 1997 NYTs obituary--author of Hawaii, Chesapeake, TX, Mexico, The Novel etc

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/17/books/james-michener-author-of-novels-that-sweep-through-the-history-of-places-is-dead.html I have read some of them, abt 50% --in Burma through my mother's friend Mrs Hummel, and from 1982, Poland, The Novel, Chesapeake, Mexico, Texas, and the last one about life in an old people's home, which I retrieved from garbage while helping someone clear out a fixer upper in TX. They are all equally good, I read the Bridge at Andua first in abridged form in the 1950s in Burma and at least till 1982, that edition of Readers Digest was still on my bookshelf in Burma. I've read Poland twice, and Bridge at Andua twice also. The last book is shorter, but no less excellent. I liked Caravans the least, mainly because I didn't think the woman wearing sneakers under her hijab was realistic, but I may like it now if I read it again, I don't know. km Kyi May Kaung Words Sounds and Images

National Gallery of Art--Impressionist Movement

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/national-gallery-of-art-set-to-open-paris-1874-the-impressionist-movement/