Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Essay--Remembrance of Teas Past by Kyi May Kaung.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-pty-pty_maps&hsimp=yhs-pty_maps&hspart=pty&p=English+scones+and+clotted+cream+youtube#id=1&vid=b03bef68097e7fcfaa170da2941bca90&action=click
Photos, Kyi May Kaung. The Youtube will take you straight to the clotted cream recipes. It's very like scones my son made from a magazine. The clotted cream as well as the scones I had yesterday at Green Spring in Alexandria, VA. were much better :) than ones I had in UK with my childhood friend, who showed me how to put the cream on my scone. (Sorry Y.) I was about to put the cream in my tea. In fact, yesterday's high tea was best I ever had in my life. Reminds me of when I took a Burmese refugee to the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, where we had tea in the Somerset Maugham room, all white wicker and white tablecloths and green palms in pots. But Ingjin refused to believe me when I said you use either the lemon slice or the milk, and insisted on putting both in the same cup. Guess what happened? Need new cup and saucer. The prices were so very high, and I was so used to enormous servings in America, I asked "I am concerned if the servings will be too big and I won't be able to finish." The Thai waitress looked at me askance. It turned out $17 for 3 real tiny, and I mean Tiny, finger sandwiches. * The scones must have been different in England because we had it in a tea shop, while yesterday it was a full sit down tea with real nice ladies serving us, so special. The teapots had special cloth cosies around them. I haven't seen or used a tea cosy since my father died. We used to live in a long narrow house like a ship, and the servant had to bring the teapot up from the kitchen on the lower floor of the other side of the house, to the landing where we used to have our breakfasts. At the tea yesterday, all the teacups and saucers were different. Two of my tea companions and I could not resist turning the saucers over to read the labels, but now I have forgotten what I read. :) I know it was not Spode, though I have seen Spode at a family friend's house. Oo la la, how to have a sit down tea when there is hardly place to sit. But I do remember my late friend and I going to spend "our last 20 $" on a tea at Hotel Atop the Bellevue, in downtown Philadelphia, because I read about it in the Inquirer, and how we were both so bombed out due to losing our US scholarships, due to Bur Gov (junta) not renewing our "special" passports in 1988, so I don't remember the food we had, except the waiter wrapped leftovers in foil which he shaped into a swan. My friend was also from Burma and she introduced me to Earl Grey Tea. On another occasion, she showed me how to make croissants from prepared fast food dough, but I remember she made it s l o w l y, circling around her small kitchen, and I remember thinking then, "maybe she has OCD, maybe she won't finish her dissertation" and now 30? years later I realize she never did, and guess what, she blamed me, literally almost with her dying breath--(relayed through Sis Polyanna)--so but in the end, it's all "bunk". Only the scones remain from yesterday, as light as air. k Kyi May Kaung Words Sounds and Images

Yuan Dynasty and death of Kublai Khan--from wiki

The Yuan dynasty created the "Han Army" (漢軍) out of defected Jin troops and an army of defected Song troops called the "Newly...