Sunday, January 15, 2023

Another bereavement in the larger Burmese democracy community overseas--Tad Sargent

  Another bereavement in larger Burma democracy community overseas.

Sun, Jan 15 at 9:00 AM

 

Tad Sargent, husband of Inge Sargent, former Mahadevi (Queen) of Hsipaw in Shan States in Burma, passed away.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inge_Sargent

 

I don't know exactly when or other details.  I just found out today from mutual friends. 

 

I stayed with her a total of 4 times while attending conferences in CO.

 

3 were talking about Burma and reading poetry at annual Conferences on World Affairs in Boulder, and one was while attending a conference on Trafficking of Women in Denver.

 

Interviewed her 2 times--

 

1.  about her memoir Twilight over Burma

 

2. When Aung San Suu Kyi's husband Dr Michael Aris died.

 

I will write more about these 2 interviews.

 

Both times she told me:  

 

"I am a Buddhist now.   My mind is calmer."

 

She told me this in Burmese and her Burmese was still good.

 

"seik tway aye thwa pyee --all those thoughts are all calmed," she said.

 

I painstakingly took out all the silent gaps when she was searching for the right Burmese word (after nearly 40 years not speaking it on a regular basis)  so the interview was at normal speed.

 

The jerk Burmese section head Nga Xoe Dinn (slightly changed name) made me cut portions saying the suspected perpetrator who killed her first husband Hsipaw Sawbwa Sao Kya Seng, Col. KM still alive in MD and

 

"would sue RFA."

 

My view was The Victim also has Rights.

 

Tad Sargent was a good person who loved his wife.

 

I last saw them both in 2004 and 2016.

 

More later.

 

Need to spend some time crying and praying and writing.

 

kmk

1-15-2023

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Portrait I painted and gave her--it's a little pink, but she liked it.  I painted it at night as I was to catch a flight the next morning.  It dried fast as it was acrylic.


  •  
    Copyright Kaung--portrait of Mrs Inge Sargent--original gifted to her 2016


 

  •  
    Copyright Kaung--portrait of George Orwell, based on Orwell site 2016



 

 

 

From Myanmar Now--bumbling SAC propagandist-- SACK!--+ don't trust Hunterbrook Media--

Myanmar’s military regime is not renowned for its sophisticated propaganda machine. Much of what passes for strategic messaging from the rul...