Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Important Burma adaptation of infamous poem from Nazi Germany - by Tim Aye Hardy -


"First they came for the Mons, and I did not speak up . . . "

Excellent, Tim,

sad sad sad

but

true true true -

Thanks for writing it and posting on line.

kmk

From Tim Aye Hardy's Facebook page:
 
Long and agonizing ethnic conflicts and recent vicious religious violence back in my motherland compelled me to adapt this infamous and provocative poem (“First they came…”) by pastor Martin Niemoller into Burmese version..


**********
First they came for the Mons,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Mon.

Then they came for the Chins,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Chin.

Then they came for the Kayahs,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Kayah.

Then they came for the Rakhines,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Rakhine.

Then they came for the Kayins,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Kayin.

Then they came for the Kachins,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Kachin.

Then they came for the Shans,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Shan.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Christians,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Christian.

Then they came for the Muslims,
and I did not speak out because I was not a Muslim.

And I did not speak out because I was Bamar Buddhist.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.

~May peace and love embrace each and every one in Myanmar (Burma).
**********


Adaptation by Tim Aye Hardy

Photo of Rohingya begging to land somewhere - from Internet.
 

Very nice--a writer meets an actress in a cafe and they fall in love--

https://www.aol.com/news/valerie-bertinelli-boyfriend-reveals-identity-031332062.html