Saturday, May 23, 2015

Special post--Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Curse for a Nation--


This photo--from Internet--Rohingya refugees rescued and resting on land--5-23-2015



Photo--New York City skyline from the Metropolitan Museum roof garden.  Photo KM Kaung

Renowned for her love poems, and her love affair and marriage to Robert Browning, after being kept in captivity as an "invalid" for years by her domineering father, I never even knew she was involved in politics.

I could not find my print copy, but here it is--

make sure to open the link and read it--

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-curse-for-a-nation/

for those of you who don't know, she also wrote the quintessential lines

"How do I love you, let me count the ways--I love you to the height and depth and breadth, my soul can reach--"


After she eloped with Robert, they had a son and she spent the rest of her life on the Continent.

Specialpost--Ellen Bernstein--expose of World Bank Rohingya project--

https://www.irrawaddy.com/culture/books/hellfire-and-damnation-in-myanmar-ex-world-bank-country-head-recounts-rohingya-catastrophe-response....