Saturday, September 29, 2018

Burmese Me Too Movement--the defects of people of your own ethnicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/12/why-are-we-afraid-to-say-vagina-myanmar-learns-to-talk-about-sex A 1988 refugee or 2 told me in c 1998 that the illustrations of reproductive parts of medical texts were blocked out and 2 women said they were scared when they menstruated because it had not been explained to them. One educated woman told me in 1980s in America! that she had never had a gynae exam in her life. I don't know how she got the scholarship, as men and women needed complete med exams. Though I think the behavior of the men and women in the medical team was questionable, such as teasing one of the men because they saw he had genital warts. The "top flight doctors" teased me if I "trusted to leave my husband alone" for so many years to study abroad. One recently told a relative "why do you wish to go to Singapore (for medical treatment) You're 80 already." Great bedside manners, wouldn't you say? Another young man, at that time engaged to my friend, said his Thai friend was "going to buy him a Burmese virgin" and "Thai prostitutes are immune to AIDS." Don't believe any of that stupid stuff--don't try it "at home." I did not see many Burmese 1982 -1997 and almost none now 2011-- and I am not sad about it. With the gut wrenching stories came a lot of racism, extreme nationalism and plain old ignorance. One Burmese med dr. prescribed the wrong medication, causing problems for her patient and I know of at least 2 women about my age who died on acct of mistakes made by doctors, and then there was the sadistic dentist named Pauline Sino-Burmese and so it goes on and on. The jerk boss in DC asked me if I wanted a Burmese doctor. I asked where the well known guy was located, he said, "Baltimore" which is about a 2 hour's drive away each way. Why would I want a Burmese doctor? km

Very nice--a writer meets an actress in a cafe and they fall in love--

https://www.aol.com/news/valerie-bertinelli-boyfriend-reveals-identity-031332062.html