Tuesday, May 06, 2014

My She-Monkey poster from 1995--

My reading from 1995 and poster made by my friend, when my She-Monkey script was among the Pew Finalists.
Philadelphia. 

Pew Charitable Trusts give arts grants of $30,000 each in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.

In three tries, I was a Finalist twice.

The first and third entries were in Literature.  The second entry was a Crafts year.  I had at that point not made any crafts save for sewing, but I entered anyway.  The winner was a Hmong refugee who wrote that she had to sew quilts for money, but would like to make a big piece, "to be remembered by."

By the fourth year (1997) I had already moved to DC, and so was not eligible to apply.

For the She-Monkey finalist position (among the first 76 of about 750 entries)
my friends bought me a cake with my book title on it. 

Shee-Monkey is a book-length poem based on the Chinese folk novel Monkey, but with a female protagonist and a human rights story.

KMKaung
www.kmkaung.com
5-5-2014

From Myanmar Now--bumbling SAC propagandist-- SACK!--+ don't trust Hunterbrook Media--

Myanmar’s military regime is not renowned for its sophisticated propaganda machine. Much of what passes for strategic messaging from the rul...