Monday, February 06, 2023

Former Hispaw (Thibaw) Mahadevi, Inge Sargent has passed away--

I think she gave up hope after her husband Howard (Tad) passed away, I Iast saw them in 2016. A very strong woman, she spoke German, English, Thai, Burmese and Shan and identified completely with the Shan people. I interviewed her 3 times, the last time when Aung San Suu Kyi's husband Dr.Michael Aris passed. At that time she told me, in Burmese, "I am Buddhist now. All my thoughts are calm." She kept asking what happened to her first husband, Hispaw Sawbwa Sao Kya Seng, who died in 1962, shortly after NW's (second) coup, of torture, in prison in Bahtoo Myo. She also told me in 2016, "I have had two excellent husbands, some people can't even find one." Such an inspiring, brave, beautiful person to have met. Read her book,Twilight over Burma. I thank Tad and Inge for their hospitality. For their work for Democracy In Burma, for their help for the Shan people, and for their support for women raped by junta soldiers. It was my honor to meet you. Sincere Condolences to her Family and folks working in her non-profit. Thanks to folks who drove me to see her. Rest in Protest. KMKaung 2-6-2023

Irrawaddy--Sleepless in NPT--Soe Win re-appearance etc.

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/sleepless-in-naypyitaw-myanmar-junta-leader-lives-in-fear-of-assassination.html