Sunday, February 19, 2023

My Father Sithu U Kaung

I intend to spend a reflective day, writing the final chapters of the novel I am currently writing. In the past, on each anniversary, I tried to do something significant, such as a poetry reading (in Ann Arbor,Michigan) going to a hidden garden on Penn Campus, publishing a novel. Today I baked bread. My/our grandmother May May Gyi saw the last king of Burma Thibaw being taken away to Ratnagiri on the W coast of India, when she was a girl of 13, swimming in the Irrawaddy River. She named him U Kaung after the Kinwun Mingyi, who was King Mindon's (Thibaw's father's) first ambassador to the West. I don't really know enough to write a non-fiction biography, and I really don't want to. I have some fiction fragments on paper that I am trying to look for. It's so aggravating. Lib of Congress photo--Head of Educational Mission to N and S America. 2nd from left.
2nd photo,with Fulbright Committee--L to R best friend U Cho, Lionel Landry, Dr Htin Aung, U Kaung only woman in photo--Miss Geiger, to her L Sao Sai Mong. Bank note signed by "Maung Kaung" as head of Burma Currency Board. Book of essays, obits etc written by his friends and colleagues, collected by my brother, Dr Thaw Kaung, 2004.Centenery first edition. kmk 2-19-2023

The 5 star couple --from 2022--now celebrating their 10th anniversary--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsf2nz2_jew