Sunday, June 30, 2013

Disappearing foods from Himal Southasia

This is super - disappearing S. Asian foods and recipes how to make them -

http://www.himalmag.com/component/content/article/5169-disappearing-foods-.html

Warning - it's not as easy as it sounds - making masala dosa (to-shay) or appom (ahr pone) or mon sein paung (also Sri Lankan) "string hoppers?" is almost impossible -

I tried masala dosa from a mix, and did not get it

My Ceylon Tamil friend, Aunty Rani, wife of a judge (she does not like the name Sri Lanka) showed me how to make the last 2, and I still have the pan for appom, but have given up.

Masala Dosa I can usually buy in an Indian restaurant.

The other two - well - I can remember --

Cho Kha, where are you, I need you to research in Burma -

Kyi May Kaung -

Yuan Dynasty and death of Kublai Khan--from wiki

The Yuan dynasty created the "Han Army" (漢軍) out of defected Jin troops and an army of defected Song troops called the "Newly...