Thursday, April 24, 2014

How very strange--poem in honor of U Win Tin by Kyi May Kaung

How very strange
(in honor of U Win Tin)
that someone who had no time to get married
no time to have a family
should now have a family numbering in the thousands.
A place to sleep
people to bathe him in death
bury him
see him off on his last journey
share merit for him, not that he does not have enough of his own
rich people to set up a foundation
help the people he wanted to help.
I am truly sorry I never got to meet you
I am not able to come to your funeral or yet le soon.
But I will do as I promised
get your words translated into English
publish What's That? A Human Hell.
That's all. As you would say.
K.M.Kaung-- 4-24-2014
Washington, D.C.
Like · ·

Burmese riddle verses from The Atlantic 1958

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1958/02/some-burmese-riddle-verses/640460/