Monday, February 13, 2017

Quote of the day--from Marie Claire Mag, by Kathy Tur--when puffed up bragball bully meets a real reporter (female)

I booked a ticket to New York. I left clothes in the dryer and milk in the fridge. I told my French boyfriend I'd meet him on vacation in Sicily in two weeks. (As it turned out, I wouldn't really return to Europe for 10 months.)
I took Aaron and his family to the Stonewall Inn, the birthplace of the LGBT rights movement. The Supreme Court had just handed down its decision to legalize gay marriage, and thousands of happy people gathered to celebrate. I marveled at how open this country had become. Love had won. I was ready to go home.
But then Trump announced his run for the GOP nomination, descending a golden escalator in Manhattan's Trump Tower. Paid actors cheered. (Trump's camp denied they were actors.) But the bigger story became his labeling of Mexican immigrants as "rapists" and "criminals."
Because I happened to be around—literally just standing around the newsroom—I got the assignment for NBC Nightly News and the Today show. A couple of days later, when the Trump story wasn't slowing down, my cell phone rang. NBC's head of news coverage had a proposal.
"How'd you like to spend the summer in New York?" he asked. "We want you on Trump's campaign. It will be six weeks, tops. But hey, if he wins, you'll go to the White House."
"Bright and early the next morning, Trump and I sat down for a talk inside Trump Tower. The result was a combative 29-minute interview that MSNBC aired three times in eight hours."
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
My first Trump "rally" was that very night in June. Trump was at a New Hampshire home, pitching himself to a couple hundred overdressed people around a backyard pool.
"I get more standing ovations than anyone," he bragged.
Trump must have recognized me from my days at NBC's local New York station; he called me out by name to pay attention.
"You're looking at your phone!" "I'm tweeting what you're saying!" I said. He nodded and continued talking. Afterward, I asked Hicks for an exclusive interview with Mr. Trump. A week later, Trump agreed. I panicked. I was known as a dogged, unflappable live reporter, the kind who runs barefoot to the camera, high heels in one hand, notebook in the other. Most recently, I'd spent months covering airline disasters in Asia and Europe, from the downing of MH17 to the disappearance of MH370 and the murder-suicide of Germanwings.
But I was not a political reporter, and I didn't know much about Trump. With one night to prepare, I read until my eyes crossed and took notes until my fingers cramped. I also bought a pair of Jimmy Choos to feel powerful.
Bright and early the next morning, Trump and I sat down for a talk inside Trump Tower. The result was a combative 29-minute interview that MSNBC aired three times in eight hours.
Trump called me naïve. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about. He shamed me when I stumbled on a question. And when the cameras shut off, he was furious. He didn't like my questions, which were direct, or my tone, which was conversational.
"You couldn't do this," he said, searching for a put-down. "You stumbled three times."
"It doesn't matter if I stumble," I said. "I'm not running for president."
That's when he landed what he saw as the harshest insult of all.
"You'll never be president," he said. I laughed. What else was I supposed to do?

Very nice--a writer meets an actress in a cafe and they fall in love--

https://www.aol.com/news/valerie-bertinelli-boyfriend-reveals-identity-031332062.html