Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Currently reading Secret History of the Mongols--

Currently reading ancient Secret History of the Mongols--an adaptation in blank verse--thoroughly enjoying it--from the get go--

"Genghis was descended from the union of a grey wolf and a fallow doe."

It was first written in Mandarin Chinese, then translated into English and other languages by Arthur Waley, among others.

I love Conn Iggulden, but can't write it like he does, so this one, maybe I will write it like my Shee-Monkey goes West, in a more lyrical style, from a women's point of view.

Like many oral histories, which were later written down centuries later, including Beowulf, and the Buddha's story,

this one has many moments of emotional truth among the rhythmic memory-jogging stanzas--

e.g.  from the Buddha's story--Ananda leaned his head against a lintel and said--(as the Buddha Gotama lay dying)

and here

after there was no horse for Genghis (Temujin's) young wife Borte, and she was abducted,

Temujin finally was able to raid the camp of her captors --

"he went among the gers shouting 'Borte!  Borte!'"

Since Secret History is also the oldest extant source, and also added on to by the equally lyrical Arab historian Juvaini--

I feel I can't go wrong, that's why I bought a second hand copy.

I carefully wiped the cover with a kitchen towel soaked in Listerine,

and I must say I just LOVE this adaptation from the original translation.

As Beowulf begins in Old English--

Hwet!!

Listen up.


KMKaung
6-10-2014


Burmese riddle verses from The Atlantic 1958

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1958/02/some-burmese-riddle-verses/640460/