Monday, June 09, 2014

My cover letter to Another Book Critic



Dear ----,

I have recently published 5 novellas--Black Rice (about a man with very dark skin who is captured by a rival ethnic group in Burma in 1948), FGM (an Ethiopian gynecologist is drawn into an inappropriate relationship while in Baltimore to give a talk on Female Genital Mutilation), No Crib for a Bed (3 short stories about old age and death as immigrants in America), Dancing like a Peacock (2 short stories concerning Burmese refugees on the Burma-Thai Border) and The Lovers (about a political asylee from Chile who is reduced to working in a strip joint in Philadelphia)—

The Rider of Crocodiles (out very soon) is about a Siamese man in Ayuthia who was not killed in 1767 when the Burmese king raided for the last time, because he knew how to ride crocodiles.

Attached is the soft cover design.


I am an award-winning writer, originally from Burma.  I was a Pew Finalist in fiction twice and won a Pennsylvania Council on the Arts Award, and the William Carlos Williams Award of the Academy of American Poets.

I have been anthologized in Norton’s Language for a New Century and in Gravity Dancers, DC Women Writers, edited by Richard Peabody, in which No Crib for  Bed first appeared.

Additionally, fiction and non-fiction and poetry were in Foreign Policy in Focus, The American Prospect, Open Democracy, Himal South Asia, Irrawaddy, Counter Punch, Salon.com, Rattapallax, Cross Connect, Wild River Review, The Northern Virginia Review, Poet Lore and The Philadelphia Sunday Inquirer Magazine (a short story called Band of Flesh about conjoined twins).

I am also in the last stages of publishing my full length novel Wolf about a 1988 student leader from Burma.

My full length play Shaman was praised by Edward Albee.

Where may I send print copies of my books for your appraisal or would you prefer pdfs?

My doctorate in Political Economy was from the University of Pennsylvania, where I studied on a Fulbright Fellowship.  My focus was on the lack of development in totalitarian countries.

I worked in international radio and with the Burmese Democratic Government in Exile from 1997-2011.

My native language is English as I grew up in the UK and I have been in the USA for 30 years.

Sincerely,

Kyi May Kaung (Ph.D.)



La Boheme--the young Pavarotti--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkHGUaB1Bs8