Sunday, December 01, 2013

Mini review of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - by Kyi May Kaung



 I saw The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, which is edited rather tight and ends suddenly. So now I have contributed to their big box office take.

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/12/01/weekend-box-office-hunger-games/

A chilling combination of Hitler-like (Olympic) Games and game shows and Orwell's 1984 Big Brother --

for half the film I could not place Philip Seymour Hoffman, who played the child-molesting Catholic priest and Truman Capote in previous movies--he is excellent here too.

So now I have to go dig out my Nook -- if I remember, Hunger Games was on it when I got it as a Christmas gift about three years ago.

Now I have to go read the novel/s.

I do seem to remember it was a bestseller after the author, a journalist, could not find a literary agent.

And the characters, some of them stereotypical, turn out to be quite memorable in their own way.

As a systems person I did realize that when the system is stacked against you, only a system breakdown and replacement by something else will work, so I did like the resolution of the movie plot at the end.

Kyi May Kaung --

Burmese riddle verses from The Atlantic 1958

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1958/02/some-burmese-riddle-verses/640460/